Friday, August 10, 2007

Updates on Tool Palette Customization

AutoCAD Architecture/MEP 2008 made some changes to how palettes are customized. In 2006 and previous verions, group information was stored with the AWS profile located in the local user's documents and settings folder (see my previous post). Starting with the 2007 releases, groups are now stored with the ARG file created as part of setting up your options. One issue several users were having is that a user could create custom palettes in a shared network environment, and have options set to look at the shared location for the tool palettes. However, palettes were not sticking in groups. With some help from Joshua at Autodesk support, we traced down that the user's workspace was not set to automatically save changes - and in these cases once a user placed their palettes into groups, a program close and reopen would not save the changes for the groups. I've been running several custom palettes for the last few days, and setting my workspace to automatically save changes seems to have fixed the problem.

In regards to catalog controlled palettes, we're still having some issues with items remembering their tool's locations, etc. As I get some good clear directions working, I'll post them here.

One item I am working on is a set of AutoCAD MEP palettes that emulate Revit MEP design bar layouts, to make it easier for user to work in a dual environment. Autodesk is putting a class on about this at AU this year, so if you're working in this mode I'd recommend that class. For my class on Power Tips for Templates for AutoCAD MEP at AU this year, a lot of what I'll be teaching is geared towards setting these items up so that they have similar behavior for both packages. As Revit MEP progresses, I'm expecting to post more docs here on it.

And then there's more...stay tuned.

thanks - David B.

No comments: